Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Radio Silence - A visual history of American Hardcore Music





As some of you may know I was the guitarist for the late 80's New Jersey hardcore band, Crucial Youth. My monicker was Ollie Grind because I was the token skateboarder in the band. It still comes up every few months when I see an old face or meet someone from that era. In December of 2007 I received a call from Nathan Nedorostek and Anthony Pappalardo about contributing stories and memorabilia for a book that they were working about the hardcore scene at that time. The book was to be released in late 2008. I was excited to work with them and see some of the great flyers, t shirts and other memorabilia that they had collected from other contributors. It was also great to sort through my old flyers, records and t shirts from that time and recall how much fun that scene really was. The book is out in stores and I suggest you get a copy.

Radio Silence

Hardcore music emerged just after the first wave of punk rock in the late 1970s. American punk kids who loved the speed and attitude of punk took hold of its spirit, got rid of the "live fast, die young" mindset, and made a brilliant revision: hardcore. Authors Nathan Nedorostek and Anthony Pappalardo have cataloged private collections of photographs, personal letters, artwork, and various ephemera from the hardcore scene circa 1978-1993.




No comments:

Post a Comment